.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

November 18, 2005

Day 123: El Yucateco Caribbean

Full name: El Yucateco Caribbean Hot Sauce Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero"

When people ask me what my favorite sauce is, this is the sauce I tell them.

It has heat, flavor, availability, and it's cheap. And when you eat as much heat as me, you either need a cheap sauce, or an extract. For a natural sauce, this probably has one of the highest BPP. (Butane Per Penny)

In real life, however, I'm so anal retentive that I could hem & haw for 10 minutes as I try to wrap my nerdy little mind around the correct answer. If I don't care about heat, I think Rooster sauce is the answer. If I want the best extract, Z is the best tasting. There are at least 10 other sauces that are perfect for different occasions. By the time I'm done making a dipshit out of myself, the person will excuse themselves and try walking away. That's when I figure out they were just trying to be friendly and chitchat with me as we stood by my hot sauce collection at work.

So this is my simple, 90% correct answer.

Without a doubt, however, this is the best sauce El Yucateco puts out. Even though it's only their 2nd hottest, it's their best flavor. (And with El Yucateco, finishing second in heat is still pretty kick ass, let me tell you)

I remember years ago having my first bottle. I was putting a dab here & there on a Subway sandwich. I went through almost a whole box of kleenex as my nose ran like a leaky faucet. Damn, I thought it was hot. A real builder.

Now, I can eat a whole bottle in one day. What's that mean? It means your mileage may vary. Use with caution. Or use a lot, depending on where you fit in on the heatness scale.

Whoops. I was enjoying this sauce so much during lunch, I emptied it out before realizing what happened. What you see here are the last few miserable drops left for tonight.

My mom always used to say we should finish our plates because there were starving kids in Africa. I say finish your hot sauce, because there is a dry mouth here in the Smoking Tongue household tonight!

Tomorrow: El Yucateco Jalapeno Hot Sauce

Topics: ,

8 Comments:

  • Hello. I'm from Brunei (I do not know why I have to include that) but I've been reading the blog for almost a week now. Hehe. It's great. So anywayyy, keep on smoking and I will keep on reading up regularly. :)

    By Blogger Maurina, at 1:22 AM, November 23, 2005  

  • Fellow Chilihead

    The Yucateco habanero is my favorite-never seen this one-looks like a must try. Really glad this endevour lasted longer than a month, it's my number one blog site!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM, November 23, 2005  

  • Is this a new Yucateco flavor? I have not come across it yet. I have been eating Yucateco since the 80's when I had some at the "Sante Fe Bar and Grill" in Berkeley, Ca. Mark Miller was the chef. I have been hooked since.

    By Blogger chilebrown, at 2:20 PM, November 23, 2005  

  • I gotta find some of that!

    Are you gonna set the Thanksgiving Day bottle up on the table at family dinner or is it gonna be stealthy? Can't wait to read it.

    I tried the email from the blog and I haven't heard anything but cricket sounds when I open my inbox...

    ~812green

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 PM, November 24, 2005  

  • I'll admit, I don't see this El Yucateco Caribbean flavor at my normal grocery store, but did find it at a hole in the wall down the street.

    Thanksgiving sauce was whipped out, doused, and heavily commented on. Can't wait to write about it.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 6:22 PM, November 24, 2005  

  • impressed by the kind of variations of sauce that you can get in that part of the world, i write from india, where i have always only heard of my own country's popular sauce Maggi hot&sweet chilli sauce... and a few brands like heinz...

    is it like there are much much better sauces than the hugely hyped and marketed heinz.. do u guys love heinz tomato sauce like we do here..

    By Blogger Harish Palaniappan, at 9:55 AM, November 28, 2005  

  • On Strike!

    Until you post the next sauce, I haven't eaten any of my hot sauces...and I feel different, actually more energy, maybe the lack of my hourly endorphin rush from pain receptors in my mouth kickin' it in.
    It's been since the 18th.

    ~812green

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 PM, December 05, 2005  

  • Heheh. Completely understood.

    Bad news is, I got a little swamped at work, and behind on this endeaver.

    Good new is, I have continued to eat a bottle of hot sauce a day, take pictures, and write notes on the experience each day. I just haven't had the time to polish the rough drafts. Until now. Sorry for the wait.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 11:16 PM, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home