.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

November 06, 2005

Day 111: Bee Sting

Full Name: "Half Moon Bay Trading Company Bee Sting Honey n' Habanero Pepper Sauce"

Honey and habanero, what a great idea! I had a tomato and egg sandwich for breakfast, and this sweet concoction practically gave me a sugar rush. It was much better than I thought it could be. I wouldn’t say that this sauce was hot, but the habaneros were easily present in both flavor and heat. I don’t have a sweet tooth, but I really enjoyed this.

My brain started thinking of all the foods this might go good with. If I wasn’t trying to eat a whole bottle a day, I’d probably split this bottle up and try some with: chicken strips, lefse, pancakes, Chicken McNuggets, fried ice cream, and Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Back of the label:
"This is an Asian/Thai influenced, pan-cultural sweet-hot pepper sauce with a hint of garlic, onion & lemon. Excellent with rice dishes, curries, chicken, shrimp & steak, with vegetables and tofu or anywhere you want a bit of asian-style excitement."

-Way to narrow it down, marketing droid.

I think showing ingredient lists are boring, because you can always look them up online. However, I’ve never seen a hot sauce ingredient list resemble a pop can’s:

Corn surrup , water, honey, carrots, corn vinegar, sugar, corn starch, habanero peppers, onion, lemon juice, cayenne peppers, salt, garlic and black pepper, with .1% sodium benzoate & ascorbic acid as preservatives


This sauce was so sweet that I figured it would be perfect on pancakes. The honey flavor should be great for a replacement for syrup.

The picture here proves that I suck at making pancakes tonight. I burned a couple, a few fell apart. Here is what I salvaged. Whatever they look like, they still taste the same. Unfortunately, my judgment on this coupling of hot sauce and pancakes was dead wrong. The flavor didn't work well together at all. Too much pepper flavor with a weird aftertaste. I think part of the problem is that honey isn’t a valid replacement for maple syrup to start with. Oh well, better luck next time.

More sauces by Half Moon Bay:
Bee Sting Brand Mango Passion Pepper Sauce
Iguana Mean Green Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
Iguana Red Cayenne Pepper Sauce
Iguana XXX Habanero Pepper Sauce
Iguana Gold Island Pepper Sauce
Iguana Radioactive Atomic Pepper Sauce
Iguana Deuces Rockin' Red Habanero Pepper Sauce
Iguana Deuces Vicious Verde Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
Iguana Deuces Bold Gold Habanero Pepper Sauce

Tomorrow: Paisanitos Mango Spicy Sauce

Topics: ,

2 Comments:

  • I am sorry to be ignorant, as I have not read the beginning of your blog. But are you attempting to finish a bottle, yes, a bottle, of hot sauce every day for an X number of days?

    Another question: Where do you find such a variety of different hot sauce brands?

    By Blogger Linguist-in-Waiting, at 6:50 PM, November 07, 2005  

  • That's correct. As quoted in the top right corner:

    "Is it possible to eat a whole bottle of hot sauce every day?? So far, the answer is YES."

    If you live in a city of any decent size. (250,000 or more) you'd be surprised what you can find locally. I also keep my eyes open when travelling.

    Otherwise, you can buy sauces direct from the creators, or from online sellers like:

    www.mohotta.com
    www.sweatnspice.com
    www.firegirl.com
    www.penderys.com

    Just to name a few. (I feel bad for stopping there. I have over 500 links)

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 8:20 PM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home