.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

October 07, 2005

Day 81: Frontera Jalapeno Hot Sauce

God, this sauce smells so good. If there was a deodorant like this, I'd buy it. I'd smell so good, people would want to lick my armpits.

Sniffing this bottle (even now when it's empty) reminds me of what it smells like when you squeeze a lime over a sizzling plate of fajitas at a Mexican restaurant.

Overall, this sauce isn't very hot, but tastes pretty good. Not quite as tasty as how it smells, but pretty damn good. The lime is pretty strong, followed by a fresh, crisp jalapeno flavor that I enjoy. I don't see "lime" in the ingredient list anywhere, so what the hell do I know?

"Ingredients: Cider vinegar, filtered water, fresh jalapeños, pickled jalapeños (jalapeños, water, vinegar, salt, spices), onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, sugar, xanthan gum"

I'm surprised we have success here when the first two ingredients are basically juice. It would explain why there's not much heat.

The most famous Mexican street vendors sear meat over burning charcoal, lay it on warm tortillas and drizzle it with this tangy blend of roasted jalapenos and garlic. We bet you’ll think up uses that’ll make you famous, too. Serve Jalapeno Hot Sauce with eggs, in potato salads, over grilled fish and dashed into guacamole."


Bottoms Up!
Ah yes, drinking this straight was just as good as snorting it up my nose. Smells good, tastes good, IS good. The only thing keeping this sauce from being my all time favorite is that the flavor of the jalapenos just isn't strong enough. And, needless to say, isn't spicy enough at all. Something is just missing.

So far, this is the best Frontera sauce I've had so far.


Tomorrow: El Yucateco Red

Topics:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home