.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

October 05, 2005

Day 79: Big S Farms Mountain Green

Full Name: "Big S Farms Tennessee Mountain Green Habanero Hot Sauce"

I cringe when I see an organic hot sauce. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of organic foods, sometimes buy organic foods, sometimes even like the taste of organic foods. But every hot sauce I've had that is labeled as 100% organic always seems to use "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar". Which is a fancy way of saying Satan's Piss.

Big S Farms makes 3 hot sauces. They claim all natural ingredients, no preservatives, and the first bottle I looked at had "Organic Apple Cider Vinegar" as its 2nd ingredient. I threw these to the bottom of the barrel, assuming the worst.

But, as I've mentioned before, it doesn't take long until I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel, and thus I was forced to crack one of these open. It was Taco day at work, so I wanted something hot. Since this one had habaneros listed first, I grabbed Tennessee Mountain Green, and hoped for the best.

There were two other things that caught my eye on their label. The first thing was that just plain vinegar was listed in the ingredient list instead of Apple Cider Vinegar. Yea me! The 2nd thing I read was "Extra Hot. And We Mean It."

Ha ha ha! If only I had a nickel for every wimpy hot sauce that said something like that... I could open a hot sauce store. We'll give that warning the same amount of attention we give to 10 mph street signs. Still though, I liked how they phrased it.

I poured two-thirds of this bottle on my tacos for lunch. The sauce is a beautiful green color, which is a fun treat when you know they're habaneros instead of jalapenos. It's runny with vinegar, but has plenty of pulp in it. I would guess people on both sides of the vinegar fence would enjoy this sauce.

After admiring how it looked, I took a bite.

HOT! And I mean it!

Finishing the meal was a lot harder than I had imagined. If I had known it was this hot, I probably would have saved more for supper! As I kept eating, the pain grew and grew. My mouth was lit up, and my nose was running like a leaky faucet. Much hotter than it looks.

I think there was too much vinegar, but the flavor was amazing. Sweet, tart, then just plain delicious green habanero flavor. Then the heat. Lots and lots of heat.

Wow, for supper I had a piece of pizza to finish off the bottle, and my mouth is still on fire as I write this!

Big S Farms is located in Parrottsville, Tennessee. They claim to be one of the oldest farming communities in the land. For the longest time, tobacco grew in the area's fields, but now habaneros are growing. I remember years ago working on the southern border of Indiana. The accent there proved that Kentucky was but a cow tip away. My coworker there explained to me that tobacco was one of the biggest cash crops in the area that the small farmers could rely on every year. Now there's less demand for Tobacco, and the government has even forced unnatural market restrictions on its growth and worth. It basically ruined many economies in the area.

I can only assume the same has happened in the Tennessee area. The Keith's, Sugg's and Carter's of Big S Farms have switched to growing habaneros as an alternative way to be in business. If this sauce is any indication, I have no doubts of their future success. I highly recommend this sauce on its flavor and enjoyable heat!

Tomorrow: Horrible Haggis Pain & Pleasure

Topics: ,

4 Comments:

  • So, I went to Buffalo Wild Wings yesterday, my first time going to that restaurant, and ordered some hot wings... I didn't expect them to be so hot I couldn't finish them, but then again, I am kind of a hotness pansy.

    But I did read of their contest. and that is if you eat 12 of their "blazin" wings in under six minutes, you get your photo put up on their wall.

    When I read this I thought of you and your site. You should give it a try, you know, if you like wings. I hear it is quite hard to do.

    Love the site. Keep on keepin on!

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 12:53 PM, October 19, 2005  

  • Cool. I've eaten many of their Blazin wings over the years, but they never had any Wall of Fame for it at the time. I'll have to see if our local one does that.

    I could go on and tell you how I could eat their blazing wings without breaking a sweat... back when I was 5, but I'll spare you the agony.

    Instead, I will procure a bottle of their Blazin sauce (they sell all their flavors) and finish it in one day for ya. And THEN make crap out of you in my post. :)

    Cheers!

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 3:14 PM, October 19, 2005  

  • Oh man, what kind of foul thing comes out of you after you've put that kind of stuff in you?

    Aye carrumba.

    Gotta admit, the idea of Haggis sauce intrigues me...

    By Blogger Kal, at 7:52 PM, October 19, 2005  

  • There's no wall at any the 3 BW's around me; I'd think it'd get filled up pretty quick.

    Maybe they put something a little extra in at that particular BW's? like a little 3am maybe?

    By Blogger John S., at 2:12 PM, October 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home