.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

October 31, 2005

Day 105: Boulder - Smokey Serrano

Full name: "The Boulder Hot Sauce Company Smokey Serrano"

WOW! This whole time I thought this was just "that other sauce" that Boulder made. Having to hide in the shadows of the glorious Harry's Habanero sauce. But this sauce can stand on its own. This sauce is excellent in its own right. I think the only reason this sauce doesn't quit the band and start a solo career is from the lack of heat. Not that burning your arm on a frying pan isn't hot, it's just that falling into a pit of lava is hotter. And so is Harry's Habanero.

Even if not spelled correctly, this sauce is definitely smoky. (But it's okey dokey if you spell it smokey)

I had this on baked manicotti for lunch, and had to hold back at the very end so I wouldn't use it all. It soaked right in, and was an excellent flavor. I really wished I had a pint or two more.

It's hard to believe this sauce has so much flavor, and comes with so many chunks when the first 3 ingredients are: Purified Water, Vinegar, & Red Ripe Serrano Peppers. The only way to pull this off is with pure talent & care. If some corporation with a big factory had made this, all we would have ended up with was watered down crap the color of whatever food coloring they added. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I wish this guy would make more sauces.

When I fire up the grill, you just know some Poblano peppers are gonna get charred to perfection. They are mellow on heat but have a remarkably complex flavor. I have teamed them up with a red-ripe Serrano pepper and all fresh veggies to bring you this taste sensation. You gotta get into this bottle!"


If I had to find any fault with the sauce, it would be the consistency. It was a little bit runny, which of course looks funny in a chunky sauce. I had to shake the bottle up, and even then it looked like runny relish. Luckily it tasted much, much better.

Bottoms Up!
Wow, here's where the heat went! I guess sometimes the cheese, sauces, and noodles of a meal can soak up some of the heat. There's no hiding behind that now!

This left a gritty little burn in the back of my throat and tongue for a few minutes. This is also a seriously chunky and seed filled sauce that faintly reminds you of relish. This wasn't very much fun eating straight, but I did find the heat. As my mouth stayed open, ventilating air in, I could smell and taste the lingering smoke.

Tomorrow: Cajun Power Spicy Garlic

Topics: ,

4 Comments:

  • Are you trying to kill yourself? That stuff will rot your insides!

    I love it though!

    By Blogger Daedalus, at 8:19 PM, November 01, 2005  

  • I have just recently found The Boulder Hot Sauce Company and love both of their sauces.

    My bottle of Smokey Serrano wasn't as runny as the bottle of Harry's Habanero; as a matter of fact, it clogs up in the neck a little. Give a shake though and it's good to go.

    Absolutely great product, both of them.

    I'm with the reviewer: can't wait for their next product.

    By Anonymous Eric, at 10:21 AM, August 02, 2006  

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 AM, November 22, 2009  

  • Pretty worthwhile piece of writing, much thanks for the post.

    By Anonymous www.encontactos.com, at 9:33 AM, October 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home