.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 07, 2005

Tour de Hot Sauce: 50 Days


50 Days, 50 Hot Sauces.

Lining all 50 sauces up really puts things into perspective. I think if anyone looked at these on Day One and said, "Eat em up", it would seem impossible. Luckily I get to just take it one day at a time.

I've done the math, and the total volume comes to 276.1 fluid ounces.
That's 2.15 Gallons (8.16 Liters)

It's been a blast eating a different bottle of hot sauce every day. Just the variety alone has been worth it. There's a small amount of shock value involved, too. I've enjoyed some of the reactions I get from some people. However, any real hot sauce fan out there knows that this is nothing all that special. There are a lot of people out there like me. All of them are doing this on a smaller scale already.

I would say the most difficult part has not been the heat, or the quantity, but just the constant diligence involved in finishing a bottle EVERY day. Wherever I go, whatever I eat, I am carrying a hot sauce bottle and working it into the meal somehow. It's true that I usually did this before anyway. However, if I accidentally forgot a sauce when eating out, I would just curse and then pout while eating a bland meal. Now I drive back to work if I forgot the bottle there. There's no breaks. It's amazing how quickly "tomorrow" gets here when I finish a bottle. I feel like Sisyphus pushing the rock up the hill forever and ever.

I've also started to lose my tolerance to heat. Some of these sauces just aren't that hot, and I'm used to eating hotter things. Usually I still try to add extract sauces in many of my meals, even though I don't mention that every day.

Lastly, I've turned into quite the apocalyptic scavenger. I'm constantly rooting around town, gathering hot sauces to cover the next few days. It's amazing how quickly you can get through a stash when eating one a day. Luckily, I'm in hog heaven right now with about 30 sauces in the queue.

I'm really looking forward to the next 50!

Topics: ,

4 Comments:

  • Wow, that is beautiful.

    By Anonymous Will, at 2:28 AM, September 09, 2005  

  • It really is.

    By Blogger Rocket, at 12:17 PM, September 10, 2005  

  • I accidentally jumped on your postings a few weeks back through blogexplosion and ever since i added to my 'blogs to read' and tracking whether you give up some day, or falsify as if u had one..

    but it all sounded real.. good job. just to know the technicalities of it.. it would be great if you start posting the ingredients of the sauce are and how it tastes with certain combinations.. this will be great info for people who cant try all 50 for the one they would like.

    nice hobby.. and you should be happy you are continuing it.. not many continue strange hobbies after seeing reactions people give. ha ha!

    Keep us posted!

    By Anonymous Harish, at 2:27 AM, September 11, 2005  

  • Thanks Will, Rocket. I just wish I had a better camera.

    Harish, this thing is way too time consuming to be making it up just for fun.

    I know a site that lists the ingredients of their reviews... bores the shit out of me. Sorry.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 6:23 AM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home