.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 29, 2005

Day 72: Gator Vertigo

Eating a bottle of hot sauce every day can quickly deplete anyone's hot sauce stash. I know things start to get dicey for me when I find myself debating on eating a sauce that looks like it was made in 1901 vs. a purple-green sauce I have with no label.

This bottle of Gator Vertigo had been passed over for well over a month now. I kept looking at how separated the vinegar and sauce looked, and how faded the label looked. Add to that the fact I've never heard of it, and I couldn't bring myself to eat it. Well today, I didn't have too many other choices, so I shook it up well, and pretended not to look at it.

And I'll be damned if it wasn't a really tasty hot sauce!

I actually ended up eating the whole bottle during lunch. Lunch consisted of a hot dog, dwarfed by 2 mounds of Mac & Cheese. Not the Mac & Cheese that comes out of a box, but the Mac & Cheese that a chef would try to pawn off as a full meal. (Sometimes I wonder if our chef at work used to work at a High School) This sauce really helped it out. There was a strong hint of relish, it was runny and clumpy, but mixed well with the meal.

The guys at work though it was pretty good too. Don't worry, they don't eat much of it. I'm still eating 95% of the bottle. They just like to taste it. Plus no one there knows I'm the Smoking Tongue, so I can't blow my cover by being a greedy wench at times like that. I always share the love of hot sauce.

The back of the label says it's made by Counter-Productive Enterprises from Palm Harbor, FL. Their web site no longer works, but I was able to go back in history and see what it used to look like in 1999 to 2001.

Counter-Productive Enterprises, Inc. was established with one goal in mind. . . . generating smiles. We do that by offering products that please the eyes as well as the taste buds. Gourmet hot sauces and clothing that sport the CP logo are our featured items."


They have a sauce called Gator Snowbird Surprise, that they will only sell to other Floridians. It's not even an option in their order form. Can you say Collectors?!

Here is what they said about today's hot sauce:

Gator Vertigo: The only hotsauce certified at Mach 2, Gator Vertigo is the hottest of the 3 sauces. Fueled by Cayenne and Habanero Peppers with onion, red pepper, garlic and ginger. You won't know which way is up with Gator Vertigo."


I hope they're still in business, but I have no clue where they are. I'm afraid the Gator has gone the way of the Dodo. If I ever see their sauces on a shelf somewhere, I'll probably snatch them up before they're gone forever.

Other sauces by them:

Gator Snowbird Surprise
Gator Squeezin's
Gator Sizzlin' Sauce
Lady Gator Red

Tomorrow: Chef Han's Jalapeno

Topics: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home