.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 25, 2005

Day 68: Dia De Los Muertos

Full Name: "Captain Thom's Chilli Company - Dia De Los Muertos - Day Of The Dead - Piquine Tequila Pepper Sauce"

This sauce got 2nd place at the 2004 Fiery Foods Challenge in the Chile Specific Hot Sauce category, and 1st place at the 2005 ZestFest in the Chile Blend Hot Sauce category. With a heavy (and distinct) flavor of Piquine coming through, I can see why it could be in Chile Specific category. Since it also has habaneros in the ingredient list giving it some heat, I guess it also qualifies for the Blended Category.

I had this sauce while eating brats at a hot pepper festival this weekend. And never have two foods been meant for each other. This is definitely the classic 'bump' from the peanut butter & chocolate commercials.

"You've got brat in my Pequine sauce!"
"You've got Pequine sauce in my brat!"

I couldn't get enough of this sauce, and since it was so thick, it glopped on my brats perfectly each bite. I know that I was hungry, and probably would have enjoyed licking motor oil from under my car, but today, at this event, at this meal, it was heaven.

The flavor of this sauce has to be experienced to explain. There was a hint of relish, but the pepper flavor is pretty unique. Also, the consistency is a bit gritty, and the color is almost green & purple. But even these two very negative factors were won over by the flavor alone.

The heat level was enjoyable. For me, that means a low burn. For others, probably medium. For the wimps, probably hot as hell.

The dangling skull is pretty cool too.


Bottoms Up!
Well, drinking this straight wasn't quite as enjoyable as it was on food. Looking at the color, seeing the grit, really made my stomach turn. When I shot the sauce back into my mouth, I wanted to gag it up from the gritty texture alone. But a second later the flavor came through, and suddenly it didn't seem so bad. Amazing how the mind is so strong to invoke that initial reaction.

This sauce is good, just don't look at it!!


I'm not very familiar with Captain Thom's store or products, but it seems like he is quite versatile. He has also won some awards with his "Smoked Habaneros in Oil", Jerk Spice, Smokey Pepper Vinegar, Spicy Hickory Rub, and Chili Pepper Salt. From what I could find, he only makes one other hot sauce:

Captain Thom's West African Voodoo Juice

Tomorrow: Emeril's Red Pepper Sauce

Topics: ,

1 Comments:

  • I found this sauce at a Hot Sauce shop next to the Aquarium in Monterrey, Calif. The plastic skeleton caught my eye (that little marketing scheme worked!).

    I love this sauce on steak-and-egg burritos- the lime juice sets it apart for me. It IS gritty, but my Mexican wife's fresh-made salsas are, as well- they aren't machine-made.

    The color was more of a regular burnt orange/red every time I've bought it.

    I will continue to buy this as long as they make it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM, March 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home