.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 25, 2005

Day 66: Maui Pepper Apples Ass

Taking a close look at this sauce while it was on my food, I could see where the name could have come from. If an apple actually took a shit... this is what it would look like. Murky brown, with chucks apples floating in it.

It smells really good. The flavor is very tart with lots of vinegar. I have mixed views about this sauce. During the day I didn't really like it. I had it on German Potato salad, and then at night, over spaghetti leftovers. The guys at work really liked it (Wimps) but I went through the whole day shaking my head. Is this really a hot sauce? Why bother? What's the point? Eat an apple pie!

However, right before bed, I had quite a few tablespoons left over and tried it straight. It was then that I felt like I had a different bottle in my hand. The flavor is very intriguing. There's a lot going on. First, the sweetness wants to conquer the heat. And yes, there was some heat. My lips had a slight burn to it that I never got from the food. Even when I was done sampling, the heat lingered like a hangover. This is probably one of the most unique sauces that I've liked.

Now the only question is what kind of food to put it on!

"rich and fruity tropical sauce with the alternating sweetness and fire of apple butter, mango, rum and habanero peppers. This sauce adds zip and can dress up any dish with just a few shakes"

Well, it failed to spice up "any" dish, even when using most of the bottle. However, there is definitely a wild alternating flavor going on in this complex sauce.

Whoa! Is Tahiti Joe having second thoughts on the name of this hot sauce? I can see very clearly on the bottle I have in my hands that it says APPLES-ASS. But the logo on his web site is showing something a little more clever: APPLE-SASS.

I wonder if maybe the old one was a typo. Maybe a mean joke by the printer. Maybe he's cleaning up the logo so it can sell at little Suzie's grocery store safely. Or maybe... he's just embarrASSED.

More Sauces
Looks like Tahiti Joe's "Maui Pepper" line is dedicated to wild fruit flavors. If he put as much work into these other sauces as he did this one, I'll be looking forward to testing them out:

Maui Pepper - Mangonesian
Maui Pepper - Mango Meltdown
Maui Pepper - Mango Meltdown X-Treme
Maui Pepper - Sunset Salsa Pineapple Mango

Tomorrow: Uncle Dougie's Cayenne Sauce

Topics: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home