.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 19, 2005

Day 63: Melinda's Hot Sauce

Two-fer. Actually ate 2 bottles today. The first one I finished at lunch, and forgot the bottle on the table! I was a little pissed, but since it was a gift and pretty weak, I shrugged it off. Driving home from work, I had to quickly change my supper plans, and decided to eat a pizza. Pizza is just the meal to knock off a whole 'nother bottle.

Full Name: "Melinda's Original Habanero Pepper Sauce - Hot Sauce"

A.K.A. The Mild Sauce

Anyone familiar with Melinda's will know that they have quite a spectrum of sauces on their heat scale. "Hot" is their weakest of the Original Habanero line, followed by "Extra Hot", "XXXtra Hot", "XXXXtra Reserve Hot".

To get a good start on wiping out the bottle so late in the day, I just poured most of the bottle over the finished pizza and let it soak there for a while. The first thing I noticed was that this one was much more of a muddy looking sauce than the other flavors by Melinda's.

The sweet flavor went well with the pizza. I already like veggie toppings on my pizza more than meat, so the taste blended well. I was really hard up though on the heat factor.
There was none.
As expected.
I ended up using the last of my Death Sprinkles to give the pizza some heat. Using extract flakes isn't as good as using a sauce, but it works in a pinch.

Bottoms Up!
A little runny, but for being a mild runny sauce, it didn't taste horrible straight. The number one ingredient on the list was Carrots, followed by Habaneros. And although as a kid I never imagined cooked carrots tasting any good, Melinda's has perfected using carrots as a sweetener. It went down ok.

Tomorrow: Cracker Cowboy

Topics:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home