.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 17, 2005

Day 60: Walkerswood Caribbean Savory

Full title: "Walkerswood Zesty Caribbean One Stop Savoury Sauce"

Even though we often pop into grocery stores for a quick grab, I almost always try to sneak down the condiment aisle to peak at their hot sauce selection. Especially if it's a store I haven't been in before. And on this occasion, even though it was the same chain grocer as the one next to my house, and even though they always carry the exact same things, I took a peak anyway.

All the sauces looked tired and familiar, except there was something wrong with their Walkerswood bottles. It looked like their bright orange habanero sauces had sat there rotting for 10 years and turned brown. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a different flavor! Much like finding a new species in the middle of the jungle, I grabbed a specimen and brought it home for inspection.

From their web site:

"One Stop is a regular refrain heard on public bus transportation in Jamaica. It will get you off at your destination. Similarly this sauce has numerous places to go!"


I have no idea what they're talking about.

"It contains the authentic ingredients which make up the traditional Jerk, but this time they are blended with a medley of rich fruit flavours such as mangoes & tamarind."


Steve Martin was hilarious in The Jerk! That was a great movie. More exciting than what I'm reading.

"One Stop can be used as a table sauce with many egg dishes such as macaroni and cheese or omelets. It is a natural accompaniment to grilled meats such as hamburgers, sausages, steak or chops. Use while cooking as it will perk up almost any savory dish. Though flavourful it is not considered hot."


Sort of true. The sauce was sweet enough, and tasted ok, that it would probably go with a lot of foods. But it was way too mildly flavored. It was very hard to pick up in some foods at all - and I used the whole bottle!!

Their last sentence sums up another thought going through my mind. This just falls short of what a person usually looks for in a hot sauce. I'm looking to alter my food and eating experience. Whether it's through a divine purification through heat, or through a moaning climax of flavor, something had better happen, or you're going to collect dust on the shelf. I personally get pissed off when my 64 ounce jug of ketchup runs out at home. I couldn't care less about this one. Except that now that I ate it, I get to have a new hot sauce tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Karibbean Flavor Pepper Sauce

Topics: ,

3 Comments:

  • ok i am addicted to your site...so much so...i purchased a couple of bottles of hot sauce this weekend based on your reviews....

    i also tasted a sauce called 'the hottest sauce in the world'...which burned so bad that i think i might have went into shock! you can read about it on my blog if you wish...

    anyway...you can get this sauce at...www.pepperpalace.com ...i really dont think anyone could eat an entire bottle of this stuff in a week...let alone a day...i would really like to know what you think about...so should i send you a bottle?? :)

    By Blogger Lu, at 9:37 AM, September 27, 2005  

  • So YOU'RE the other reader!

    I have not had the pleasure of having the hot sauce you described. They picked a poor name for it, since 10 other sauces have those words in their description, label, and promotional plug. I have no doubts that it can strip the veneer off my trailer.

    Thanks for the offer, but no need to send a sample. I already have a fridge full of extract sauces I can't eat in one day for this site...

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 8:16 PM, September 27, 2005  

  • heh. Just me and Lu, huh?

    The Walkers Wood sauce isn't a hot one at all, I agree. It's mighty tasty sauce, but it's not a hot sauce. I don't know how much of the dislike is disappointment v. just not liking the flavor. It's misrepresented sitting next to hot sauces.

    Personally I love that allspice & fruit flavor. I use it on chicken mostly, but I usually put some kind of scotch bonnet sauce on it as well. I guess this is a good use of Dave's or Endorphin Rush -- you can get the heat from the extract, and the good flavor from the savory. It's pretty good in rice & beans too.

    Sorry you didn't care for it.

    By Blogger Tim Ottinger, at 1:58 PM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home