.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 12, 2005

Day 55: Pure Jalapeno Gourmet Sauce

Welcome to jalapeno heaven.

I first had this sauce a couple years ago and just about fell out of my seat when I first smelled it. Delicious.

Then I had my first bite and could barely bring myself to swallow it. It tasted too good.

Aptly named "Pure Jalapeno", the ingredient list lives up to it's name: Jalapeno Pepper, Salt & Vinegar. I don't know if they followed the rules, but usually you list the ingredients in order of quantity used. That means vinegar came AFTER salt!

Either way, this stuff tastes like the pure essence of jalapeno peppers. I'm a huge fan of jalapenos, so this is favorite with me. I know that most jalapeno hot sauces are associated with being weak, mild, and cop-outs. Believe me, I've ripped on a few of them myself. But this one tastes so good, that the heat is a secondary concern.

The only way to get closer to jalapeno flavor is to have a friend shove one down your throat.

I can't believe the assholes from Southwest Specialty Food are the creators (or owners) of this sauce. Some of my venom for them is because of their crappy sauce called AssKickin', which is totally un-AssKickin'. (Why do the crappiest sauces have the biggest advertising budgets?) And how lucky are we that they're expanding their AssCrappin' line! But most of my venom is for their extremely annoying web site. And now they have a huge PIG pop up and cover the site like an annoying pop-up ad. Fucking hell.

I specifically waited until the weekend to eat this sauce, just to make sure I had a chance to take a picture of this sauce on some food. Just look at that green sauce smothering the food. A picture doesn't do it justice though, I can't emphasize how good the sauce tastes.


Bottoms Up!
It was extremely hard for me to set aside this much hot sauce to drink. I wanted to put more and more and more on my food. It tasted fine, but it begged to be mixed with some food.


My only complaint about this sauce is that I have only one local place to buy it from, and it's at a premium cost of $10. Ouch. Not only that, but it's only a 4 ounce bottle.

There are TWO more sauces of this line, and I can't wait to have them again. At $10 a pop, I decided to wait a while before buying them. They are called, "Pure Cayenne" and "Pure Habanero". And yes, they're just as good, but this Jalapeno sauce is special because of how rare good green sauces are.

Tomorrow: D.L. Jardine's Texas Kicker

Topics: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home