.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

September 06, 2005

Day 47: Walkerswood Scotch Bonnet

Full Title: "Walkerswood Hot Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce"

Yes! I was foiled a couple weeks ago when I found out a nearby grocery store quit selling this sauce. By chance I was on the far side of town that I never visit and found the sauce for sale there.

I've never seen any other products by Walkerswood for sale (although I don't look very hard for non-hot sauces!), but it seems like they sell lots of marinades, curries, spices, and other cooking sauces.

The reason I was excited to find this sauce is because I've had it once before, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately, I had a different experience this time.

When I opened the bottle, I found a large, thick ring of black sludge lining the top neck of the bottle. Nasty. After close inspection, it seemed like the rest of the sauce hadn't touched the sludge. Still looked bright-orange and healthy. I pretended I was changing the oil in my car, and cleaned it out with a napkin. Quite a few thoughts were going through my mind. Obviously the first knee-jerk reaction was to count your losses and toss the bottle out. However, I was looking forward to eating this sauce, not to mention a Labor Day Weekend eating schedule all planned out. After throwing a few Hail Mary's, and a promise from my friends that if I died, they'd put "DEATH BY HOT SAUCE" on my tomb stone, I dug in.

The sauce was a pale comparison to what I remembered. This time it was really thin, with distracting seeds and long strips of red mystery shards. However, if the seeds are in there to make the sauce hotter, I guess it can be excused. The heat level was just the way I remembered it: nice and hot.

I had this sauce on eggs in the morning. It didn't mix well. It went better on bread when I made a make shift tomato sandwich from fresh goodies from the Farmer's Market. For lunch we had a pot roast, and it mixed well inside the potatoes. See, if it was really tasty, you'd pour it ON stuff, not INTO stuff.

A hot but distinctly flavourful sauce. The Scotch Bonnet Pepper has become a staple in Jamaican cuisine.

Though dramatic in its heat, it has an unmistakable aroma and flavour.

Use sparingly in soups, stews and rice dishes."


Use sparingly! Somehow I don't think eating a whole bottle in one day is exactly what they had in mind.

I've never seen most of them before, but it looks like there's a few more sauces that Walkerswood Caribbean Foods makes:

Walkerswood Jonkanoo Hot Pepper Sauce
Walkerswood Firestick Hot Pepper Sauce
Walkerswood Zesty Caribbean One Stop Savoury Sauce

Tomorrow: Pain Is Good - Garlic

Topics: ,

2 Comments:

  • I've had both and I think the Jonkanoo is better. It's hotter too, if memory serves.

    By Anonymous Chuk Hell, at 10:49 PM, September 06, 2005  

  • A local restaurant just ran out of this stuff and I'm really bummed (nothing more disappointing than having only Tabasco sauce for my eggs). You must have gotten a bum bottle, as it has always been spot on for me. I love this sauce because it is focused on the scotch bonnet rather than the vinegar. If you get a good bottle, it go great with eggs or on a sandwich. BEEz

    By Blogger BEEz, at 7:31 AM, April 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home