.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 29, 2005

Day 42: Pain Is Good - Louisiana

Full title: "Pain is Good - Louisiana Style - Batch #218 Hot Sauce"

I have a real soft spot for these sauces. I think the packaging is a stroke of genius. It seems to me that they spent a lot of money to get that "didn't spend much money" look. But it works! First, we have most obvious thing: The grimacing faces. The Larry, Curly, and Moe of pain. You can recognize them a mile away, and it embodies the exact feeling chileheads love (Or love seeing others do). It's also a head turner. People are used to seeing me walking around at work with a bottle of hot sauce, but I'll actually get into lengthy discussions when walking around with one of these.

Next, we have the flask shape of the bottle. Nothing comes closer to drinking booze at work, than drinking hot sauce from a booze-looking bottle.

Lastly, the label itself looks like it was cut from a paper sack to give it that rugged look, when in fact it’s probably one of the more sturdy labels I've seen. Even the heat shrink is engraved, and thick as champagne packaging.

The only downside is the cost of the sauces. $4.69 is what I paid locally for mine. Even though I'm getting 1.5 ounces more than normal, that's still expensive. Especially if I'm going to eat the whole thing in one day.

Today's sauce is the Louisiana Style. It's thick, has a heavy tomato base, tangy, and doesn't really taste like anything specific. Kind of like a failed V8 experiment. I also didn't make the same face as the guy on the label. It's not hot at all.

Since I screwed up at work on Sunday, I brought in bagels for everyone on Monday. I snagged one and called it my breakfast. I smeared some of their Jalapeno Salsa flavored cream cheese on it, and then poured some of this hot sauce on a plate, and dipped my bagel in it. Not very exciting.

For lunch I had brought in a ham & cheese sandwich which I dipped into this sauce. Not very exciting.

For supper I poured the last of the sauce on some spaghetti. A better match, but nothing worth repeating. Due to the cost of the sauce, lack of heat, lack of flavor, I can't really recommend this sauce. The label does kick ass though. (A little chewy, though.)

The first thing I noticed while pouring this shot was how thick the sauce was. Only a little runnier than spaghetti sauce. I was unable to drink it in one swallow, and had to settle for two. Drinking it straight is pretty horrible, and I felt like throwing up when I bit into a mystery chunk. Probably a tomato. It's too tangy, and doesn't remind me anything of my beloved Louisiana style hot sauces.


Original Juan Specialty Foods are the proud owners of Pain Is Good. They also have BBQ sauces, Con Quesos, Salsas, Pasta Sauces, Bloody Mary Mixes, Nuts, Trail Mix, and Spices under this label. Whew.

More Pain I can't wait to eat:

Pain Is Good - Jamaican Style Hot Sauce
Pain Is Good - Garlic Style Hot Sauce
Pain Is Good - Honey Cayenne Mustard Sauce
Pain Is Good - Jalapeno Harissa Sauce
Pain Is Good - Jalapeno Wasabi Sauce

Original Juan also has other brands, and is still acquiring new ones:

- Fiesta
- Bilardo Brothers
- Mama Capri
- Texas Longhorn
- Jose Goldstein
- Frontier Traders
- Cajun Bayou
- Dos Hombres
- Kansas City's Cowtown

And they're also responsible for these hot sauces:

The Source
Da' Bomb - Beyond Insanity
Da' Bomb - Ground Zero
Da' Bomb - Final Answer
Pain 85%
Pain 95%
Pain 100%
Raw Heat
99% Hot Sauce
Fire & Spice
Bite Me
XTreme Hot Sauce
Quest For Fire XXX Hot Sauce
Raw Heat Vintage 69

Tomorrow: Hooters Hot Sauce

Topics:

1 Comments:

  • Help! Original Juan no longer has Quest for Fire, which has been my favorite hot sauce for 15 years. Do you know of any other places that carry it? Am Googling around for it encountered your blog, and decided it couldn't hurt to ask.

    Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 AM, July 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home