.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 24, 2005

Day 37: CaJohn's Chipotle Hot Sauce

Holy BBQ, Batman!
I had to re-read the side of the bottle to make sure I hadn't bought a BBQ sauce. However, it did say Hot Sauce. That's really stretching it, though. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get more bang for your buck by ordering CaJohn's CaBoom Bayou-Q Chipotle 16 ounce bottle of BBQ sauce. They're probably the same thing. (And after tasting this bottle of hot sauce, I would actually HOPE they're the same thing--it's really good)

I am also certain that this sauce can also be found relabeled as CaJohn's Hot Spots - Ember hot sauce. It's been over a year ago since I had it, but something this unique you can remember for years.

So as much as I'd like to complain about this not being a hot sauce, I was just too busy enjoying it. I skipped breakfast, but for lunch I had a cold pasty. It was a real treat dunking this handheld food item into my BBQ sauce. Err..hot sauce.

This sauce is thick. Extremely thick. In fact, I ran into a problem trying to get any sauce out of the bottle. First, it had been refrigerated, so it was extra slow. Second, the small air pocket in the sauce was stuck deep down in the bottle. It could not crack the opening of the bottle's stem, and literally had to be shaken out vigorously to get the flow going.

Besides tasting just like BBQ sauce, it has a nice smoky flavor, and a decent chipotle kick. Kick as in flavor, not heat. I'm not a huge fan of certain chipotle sauces, but had NO problems enjoying the flavor of this one. This is highly recommended, and yes, probably would go better as a marinade, and slathered on for barbequing chicken.

As usual, I wished it was hotter.




You are witnessing the patience a possum. It took a good five minutes holding the bottle in this position to get the last of the sauce out to fill up my shot glass. It clung to the sides like sap, and didn't want to let go.
Extremely dark brown in color, this sauce almost looks black. Smells exactly like BBQ sauce. I'm starting to think maybe this shot would go better on some ribs...
All gone, but you can still see how the thick sauce sticks to the side. swallowing this sauce was gave me a BBQ hangover. It's extremely tangy, and the heat lingered on my tongue for quite a few minutes. I take back my complaint that this was only a BBQ sauce in a small bottle. It's a very spicy BBQ sauce in a bottle.

I don't know how I was able to talk my girl friend into trying this sauce out, but she had the tiniest drop smeared on her finger and tasted it. She said she could feel the heat. ??. Mortals... I'll never fathom it.

Tomorrow: Ditka's Red Vinegar Sauce

Topics: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Man, that sounds good. I'm gonna pick me up some of that - it'll go great on barbeque hamburgers and other beastly flesh.

    By Anonymous Almost Daily, at 10:16 PM, August 25, 2005  

  • Cool. Except for maybe the cost/size, you won't be disappointed. I'm sure if you call the owner up, he'll tell you if that big bottle of Caboom BBQ sauce is the same stuff. If so, double the size for just a bit more. Good luck chipotle man.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 7:53 AM, August 26, 2005  

  • Wow, I love the comments on all the sauces. This is one of the few CaJohns sauces we don't actually own or have tried. If you want some heat give his "ACE" sauce a try. Some of the hotter wing sauces would also satisfy your taste for heat...but then again, you're not eating a bottle of wing sauce a day right now.

    By Anonymous Joe, at 8:47 AM, August 28, 2005  

  • I've seen a few wing sauces I've wanted to eat, but then I think about drinking something that is 1/2 butter and walk away...

    I've had CaJohn's ACE sauce before. If I remember correctly, it lasted me a long, long time. It'll be hell getting through that in one day. Sounds fun.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 8:11 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home