.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 21, 2005

Day 34: Uncle Dougie's Chipotle

Full title: "Uncle Dougie's Bang! Zoom! Habanero Chipotle Hot Sauce"

I've been living in this city for 4 years, and I have my grocery stores memorized to the point of having a heart attack whenever they rearrange anything. So it's not a surprise that I watch their hot sauce shelves like a hawk, week after week, vainly hoping for a new sauce to arrive. It never happens. The only reason I justify peeking is because I'm in that aisle anyways to pick up mustard and ketchup.

Well, after 4 years of waiting, it looks like this particular store got a kick in the nuts and added quite a few all at once. I found 3 whimsically labeled sauces from "Uncle Dougie's". I guess it's from an outfit on the outskirts of Chicago in a town called Barrington. It doesn't look like they have their own website, so information on them is pretty sparse. It looks like they might also run "You Name It! Foods", which will relabel their crappy sauces with your own crappy label.

I must not have looked at this Chipotle very closely. I was expecting a runny, brown sauce. Instead, it surprised me with a chunky, relish type sauce. In fact, the consistency and flavor completely reminded my the Pyromania Hot Sauce, which I just had the day before. However, this sauce has a little more chipotle flavor, less sour relish taste, a little more runny, and a lot less heat. "Son of Pyromania".

Bottoms Up!
Not a terribly enjoyable sauce, but I've had worse. It was OK. These chunks looks similar to yesterday's Pyromania, except this time I didn't need to chew it up before swallowing (whew!)

Although I didn't detect any measurable heat while eating this sauce on food, I had a nice mellow burn for a couple minutes after drinking this shot.


Tomorrow: Melinda's XXXtra Hot.

Topics: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Ok...been readin' for about a week, even put you in my favorite's list....but now I gotta ask...

    Why? A whole bottle everyday? Does your ass not burn a hole in your skivvies??

    Please, not trying to offend, I thoroughly enjoy reading about your quest...just wondering how it started.

    Burn on, dude!

    By Blogger cutie, at 2:04 PM, August 22, 2005  

  • I like Uncle Dougie's chicken wing sauce, it's much better than a Frank's based version. Though I would not classify it as hot at all - more like barely mild.

    That's a pretty big bottle, isn't it? How'd it compare in volume to the rooster sauce?

    By Blogger John S., at 5:17 PM, August 22, 2005  

  • Cutie, I'm training for the Beijing 2008 Olympics!

    John, Uncle Dougie's hot sauces are the normal 5 ounces. Their BBQ's and mustards are all different shapes and sizes, so maybe that's what you're thinking. I haven't tried or bought any of those, but saw their pictures when trying to look up info on Uncle Dougie's. Glad you liked it. Promising that maybe they're making their own stuff.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 8:33 PM, August 22, 2005  

  • I would agree that this Uncle Dougie‚Äôs sauce is a tad mild, but you must try their newly designed products. They have a little more heat

    By Anonymous DevilSpit, at 12:16 PM, July 09, 2013  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home