.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 20, 2005

Day 32: Louisiana Original

Full Title: The Original Louisiana "The Perfect" Hot Sauce

"One Drop Does It"

How could I forget this classic during my first week of the Tour de Hot Sauce? Back in the days when a bottle of hot sauce would actually last me a couple weeks (When I was 2), this was the sauce I used. Although this is a vinegar sauce, and is certainly similar to Tabasco and other red vinegar sauces, there is a slight difference. It falls under the Louisiana-style genre. I’ve got no idea what the difference is in the ingredient list, I just know there is a flavor common in these type of sauces that set them apart. And I’m a big fan. Or at least I was.

Unfortunately, there isn’t much heat for those with much kung fu. And in an attempt to expand their product line (Like Tabasco did) they botched the job and made some of the most vile tasting sauces in the world. For instance, I would never try to eat the Red Chili flavored one in one day. Is there anyone in the world that buys that sauce repeatedly? I hope not.

Although I was looking forward to having this childhood sauce of mine, I really bungled it today. Unknown to me, we ended up eating at a Chinese Buffet. And although the smell of the sauce wafting up to my nose was heaven, it really doesn’t go well with this kind of food. At all. It’s a shame, because there’s a few sauces that I’ve been saving up for this occasion that would have gone great. (Dragon & Tiger sauces, Picka Pepper, etc)

Anyway, I lived through it. And another day is gone.

Bottoms Up!
Not bad. Would rather eat it on food. Too much vinegar for my liking, but smoothed out by the Louisiana style flavor that I have no clue on how to describe. Why does this sometimes remind me of what blood tastes like?

Other flavors that don’t live up to the original:

Louisiana Original - Red Chili
Louisiana Original - Roasted Garlic
Louisiana Original - Chipotle
Louisiana Original - Roasted Pepper
Louisiana Original - Jalapeno
Louisiana Original - Habanero


Tomorrow: Pyromania

Topics:

3 Comments:

  • Have you tried Dave's Insanity Hotsauce? Ever been to New Orleans? They have a shop in the mall that is nothing but shelves full of hot sauces, cool place.

    By Blogger Pikkel Weezel, at 7:20 AM, August 21, 2005  

  • I like to eat vinegar hot sauces with cold noodles with peanut sauce, AKA "liang mien." Goes will that. I think you can add this sauce to Chinese food without too much trouble...fried rice, noodles, egg rolls...it should work.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM, August 21, 2005  

  • This stuff is dirt cheap here in Austin. You can get the next larger bottle...12 oz., I think, for .99¢. I use it to marinate BBQ chiken and it's great for that with all the vinegar. As a hot sauce, I don't care for it.....

    By Anonymous Chuk Hell, at 9:52 PM, September 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home