.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 19, 2005

Day 31: Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot

Full title: Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce - Fiery Hot".

Couldn't help myself. I just had to crack open the 2nd Marie Sharp bottle yesterday. And just like the first one, it was great. Maybe I should have tried them side by site, because they were so similar, I couldn't really tell any difference. This one was a little hotter, but to be honest, I couldn't really tell.

Lunch was perfect. A coworker and I went to the Qdoba grill, and nothing says "Eat a whole bottle of hot sauce" quite like a fake Tex Mex restaurant. This sauce is so light, fresh and zingy, that I probably could have eaten 5 bottles today.

A few days ago, I was running low on hot sauces. Mostly vinegar sauces to choose from. To stock up, I drove to a grocery store on the other side of town. The good news is that I was able to buy 10 new bottles. The bad news is that they no longer carried Walker's Wood Scotch Bonnet hot sauce. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open elsewhere.

I didn't think the store would have so many new bottles, so I was without a cart or hand basket to carry them in. I juggled them in my hands and arms to the front, with only a few odd glances, mostly from the employees. At the front, I got into the express lane, which unfortunately is not fast at this store. There is always a problem. I've been held up by coupon fights, first-day-on-the-job cashiers, food stamp confusion, check cashers, lottery addicts, and the I-know-I-have-a-penny-here-somewhere grannies.

This time it was my own fault. I thought I'd save time and get into the short lane at aisle 6. Turns out the customer was just short, and had 500 items in her cart. By the time I got back to the express lane, I lost 5 places.

As I finally became 2nd in line, and was able to line up all the bottles on the checkout counter and give my arms a break. As the person in front of me started to argue about the change, I dozed off. Suddenly the lady behind me started to talk to me: "Are you going to do some cooking?"

I looked at her weird. Oh, the hot sauces! "No, I just put them on food. If I wanted to cook, I'd use hot peppers".

She then proceeded to tell me she used to be from New Orleans, nothing but hot sauce country. She said I should move there. I told her to go to hell. Oh wait, she wasn't being mean about it! No, I was nice. I wanted to mention this web site, but didn't think I'd have time. Turns out I had plenty of time as the person in front of me eventually conceded that 17 subtracted from 100 was indeed 83 cents.

So a young guy rang me up, charged me 18 bucks, and asked if I was going to do some cooking. Huh? What's up with cooking with hot sauces? Never would have occurred to me. Then again, I suppose it's more plausible than eating one every day.

Bottoms Up!
My girlfriend walked in on me taking a picture of this sauce. Busted. She accused me of being a drunk, and wanted to know what in the hell I was drinking. I told her it was hot sauce, and for a..... review.

"Oh, ok".

It wasn't until I drank this shot that I could feel the heat difference between the two hot sauces. This one definitely burned a bit brighter, and lingered a lot longer. It was a very nice linger.


Tomorrow: Louisiana Original

Topics: ,

2 Comments:

  • This is great stuff...I haven't had a chance to go read some of the past posts, but have a question. Do you just find these sauces at the grocery store, or do you order them from websites as well? I can't wait to see what other sauces you have in store...think I might even try one of the Marie Sharp's!
    -Mike

    By Blogger techymike, at 7:08 PM, August 19, 2005  

  • It's a mix. It took a lot of driving around, but most of the ones I've had so far are from local grocery stores. I also have lots lying around from previous online purchases.

    Eventually, I will have to rely on 100% online purchases, but not after a 40 minute drive to a store that I know carries about 20 more sauces.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 1:46 PM, August 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home