.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 18, 2005

Day 30: Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce

Full title: "Marie Sharp's Habanero Pepper Sauce - Hot"

Let me just cut to the chase here and say that this hot sauce tastes so damn good. I feel like I've been in a desert with nothing to drink, and suddenly fell into a pond of sparkling mineral water. Full of mermaids. Giving BJ's. Ok, maybe not that good, but it's damn good.

Without a doubt, this sauce has been the best I've had during this Tour de Hot Sauce. I've had it before, but it must have been a long time ago, because how else could I forget how good it was? It definitely goes into my top 10 of all time.

The cool thing is, this isn't even the hottest one. "Made In Belize" it says on the label, and they're not messing around over there! There is no concern about the delicate American tongues. Although it didn't burn my tongue, I definitely felt some heat, and this is one of the lower end sauces. Can't wait to try the next notch up tomorrow.

This sauce also falls under a certain genre of hot sauces. I like to call it the "Carrot" genre. Using carrots as a main ingredient is a great way to build a smooth, sweet tasting sauce that compliments the habaneros. Most of Melinda's sauces could fall under this, along with a few other delicious brands. However, there is a sliding scale involved, between the amount of habaneros used verses the amount of carrots. Melinda's would be on the bunny rabbit side, and Marie's would be on the ass kicking side.

One other thing I never really put too much thought into until today, was that most of Marie Sharp's labels have a nice picture of all the ingredients used on the front. The ingredient list of this bottle is: carrots, red habaneros, onions, garlic and lime. The picture shows all of them.

Action Shot!
You don't have to own a blog where you eat a bottle a day to be able to eat a whole bottle of Marie's. It's so good, this is what your breakfast would look like too.

For lunch we had some free food at work. Crackers, cheese, and salami slices. I poured some on each bite. Went great with everything, even veggies.

For supper I had hardly any left. Very sad. Goes great with potatoes & brats. Had to save the rest for the shot glass.

It's not often you want seconds when doing shots of hot sauce. This was definitely one of those times. Marie Sharp's sauce is so thick, that if it was any thicker, you'd have to suck it out with a straw. If you zoom in on this picture, you can see the consistency is similar to an Orange Slushy. In fact, I'm wondering if I could make a slushy out of this if I put some in the freezer. I would definitely buy one if they had it at my local convenience store. And then they'd go out of business after being sued by a hundred kids and their angry moms.

The doesn't stop there, I can't wait to try these:

Marie Sharp's - No Wimps Allowed Hot Sauce
Marie Sharp's - Orange Pulp Habanero Hot Sauce
Marie Sharp's - Green Habanero with Prickly Pears
Marie Sharp's - Grapefruit Pulp Habanero Hot Sauce
Marie Sharp's - Habanero Pepper Sauce - Fiery Hot
Marie Sharp's - Habanero Pepper Sauce - Mild
Marie Sharp's - Belizean Heat
Marie Sharp's - Beware Comatose Heat Level


Tomorrow: Marie Sharp's Fiery Hot.

Topics: ,

3 Comments:

  • A blog about hot sauce!?

    Bravo!

    I enjoy hotsauce very much, but I demand a balance of taste and heat.

    Once, my uncle gave me something he called a "Japanese blue pepper" which was tasteless, but so hot that it chemically burnt my mouth. Thanks alot, Uncle Moron!

    By Blogger Ben, at 3:25 PM, August 18, 2005  

  • Bummer your uncle didn't know the real name of it. I'm curious what kind it was.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 12:32 AM, August 21, 2005  

  • Loving the blog... I brought back a gallon of Marie Sharp's from my last trip to Belize.. Best souvenir ever!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 AM, October 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home