.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 11, 2005

Day 23: Jump Up And Kiss Me

Full name: "Jump Up And Kiss Me - Spicy Passion Fruit Sauce"

Here's a sauce I've never actually had before. I've heard of it for a long time, and even seen it, but never had the pleasure of trying it.

So what does passion taste like? My expertise in fruits don't go far beyond apples & oranges, so I'll have to defer to the ingredient list. Passion tastes like Papayas. Yep, this sauce is very papaya-ish. I think. Yes. Maybe. I guess.

Opening the bottle and smelling it begins the unique journey. It smells good, but different. (Papaya?) The taste is cloyingly sweet, with a lot going on in flavor immediately, and in the aftertaste. A lot of work went into making this sauce. I'm not a big fan of sweet foods, but I had no complaints while eating this sauce.

If I was going to be the wine connoisseur of hot sauces, I would probably have set this sauce aside until I had pork chops. It would be a great apple sauce replacement. It could also go well with chicken, especially in a salad. I'm sure a real chef could do a much better job at my Neanderthal attempts of matching spices here. And that's because of what this is. It's a chef's sauce. Almost an ingredient.

But I'm not a connoisseur. Not this week. I'm eating a hot sauce bottle every day, and I can't be discriminent. For breakfast I had a turkey & cheese bagel sandwich, slathered in Passion sauce. For lunch, I had a gourmet hot dog, slathered in Passion sauce. And for supper I had a few pieces of pizza, dipped in Passion sauce. If the creator of this hot sauce was reading this, she'd be shaking her head. However, I enjoyed each meal. The sheer quantity of sauce guaranteed that each bite was transformed into a sweet mystery. My only complaint was that it's sweeter than I like, and didn't have any heat. Sadly, this is the "spicy" version of the Passion line.

Who makes this?
Well, don't quote me on this, but it looks like Dave's Gourmet (creator of Dave's Insanity) is in charge of making these sauces, and possibly distributing them side by side with his insane line. However, he quotes on his web site that they were created and owned by Jennifer Trainer Thompson. Doing a quit lookup on her reveals a lot food books, and one called, Jump Up And Kiss Me - Spicy Vegetarian Cooking. I think it's safe to say that these ARE her sauces.

Remember those hot sauce posters? The ones that everyone wishes were real in their own home? Well, it looks like we can thank Jennifer for those! Yep, this lady has been busy.

The posters must be good sellers, because she also has similar posters for Olive Oils, Single Malt Scotches, and Beers! (I'm trying very hard to keep my credit card in my wallet right now)



Bottoms Up!
Check that dull green & brown color out. No fake ingredients here. No food coloring. You have to respect that. It tastes much better than it looks. And thankfully the label is pretty nice looking. Taking a shot of this, is kind of like volunteering to clean up after a birthday party and shoving a huge dallop of frosting into your mouth when no one is looking.
Sweet. Sinful & Guilty.


Here's a few other sauces from her line:

Jump Up & Kiss Me - Original
Jump Up & Kiss Me - Passion Fruit Sauce
Jump Up & Kiss Me - Smoky Chipotle Sauce


Tomorrow: El Yucateco - XXXtra Hot

Topics:

4 Comments:

  • Stumbled across you from BlogExplosion. Very good blog. Informative, very well written and enjoyable. I wrote about marinating on mine. It's at:

    http://marinadedave.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_marinadedave_archive.html

    By Blogger Marinade Dave, at 1:37 PM, August 11, 2005  

  • Very informative in a most unusual way. Who knew there would be so much to write about in the hot sauce genre? You are trying some hot sauces I have never even heard of, and I live in hot sauce country. So ... how's the gut?

    By Anonymous Adam, at 5:34 AM, August 12, 2005  

  • Interesting. A blog about hotsauce. Here is something that fired my tounge up. A shot called a prarie fire. half tabasco, and half tequila.

    By Blogger John, at 6:57 AM, August 13, 2005  

  • jay, Not sure if I could handle hot sauce and liquor. Some things just don't go together. Somehow I feel safer taking shots of pure hot sauce. :)

    adam, whenever I see your site, I am always reminded of Danger: Men Cooking Hot Sauces. They should sponsor you :)

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 9:51 AM, August 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home