.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 09, 2005

Day 21: Trappey's Red Devil

Trappey's Red Devil Cayenne Pepper Sauce.

This bottle is a little taller than others, and sure enough, it says on the side that it's a 6 ounce bottle, instead of the regular 5 ounces. It’s black & red commercial label is very sharp, and works well with the deep red color of the sauce.

I was late for work, so I skipped breakfast. When lunch came, I knew I had to work this bottle, so I poured half of it into my bowl of soup. Now I was eating soup-flavored hot sauce. (Not a totally unpleasant feeling, either.)

For supper I had some macaroni salad mixed with hot sauce (a bit too much I might add), and a couple of hamburgers that I dipped into an au juice bowl filled with the rest of this hot sauce. (Forgot to save any – so, no shot glass tonight) My mouth had a very mild buzz to it by the end of the meal, so I would rank this sauce at the same level as Frank's hot sauce. Not quite as hot as Tabasco. In fact, this was so similar to Frank's RedHot sauce (and every other vinegar sauce) that I wonder how Trappey's can even compete. It all seems the same! What do people base their red vinegar sauce purchases on anyway?

I guess it's like some of the guys at work arguing about which beer is the best: Let's get Bud Lite! No, that sucks, Miller Lite is the best!

Move aside boys, so I can buy my Guinness...

Tomorrow: Smack My Ass And Call Me Sally.

Topics: ,

5 Comments:

  • I never would have thought that
    a) someone might write a blog about hot sauces
    b) I'd find it fascinating.

    I'll be back!
    The Idiot.

    By Blogger The Village Idiot, at 9:19 AM, August 09, 2005  

  • Wow, why didn't I think of doing a blog like this? Very original.

    I find myself liking hot sauces more and more these days when I never liked them before.

    My favorite now is a barbeque sauce called "Hotter than 'H' Sauce" from the Ribbers at Desperado's Lick My Ribs. They ain't kiddin' either!

    I also like to put coat hamburgers with it when I'm grilling, using the cover to bake it on. Then I melt the cheese over that. Out of this world with grilled onions!

    Great site, I'll be back too!

    By Blogger OTTMANN, at 9:36 PM, August 09, 2005  

  • Indeed, VERY original blog. :-) I've always been an avid hot sauce fan too, but getting to read someone else's thoughts on the subject is just great.

    By Blogger ariadneK, Ph.D., at 10:13 PM, August 09, 2005  

  • All these damn vinegar sauces, they annoy me. I wish they would focus more on the peppers for heat rather than stinging your mouth with vinegar.

    Are you going to do a really really hot sauce one day? For some kind of finale, perhaps to the month or as an anniversary to this site?

    By Anonymous Will, at 2:10 AM, August 10, 2005  

  • It's inevitable, Will.

    I may have to work up to it, though.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 7:51 AM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home