.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 07, 2005

Day 19: Melinda's Extra Hot Sauce

Full title on the label: "Melinda's Original Habanero Pepper Sauce - Extra Hot Sauce"

Made by the Figueroa Brothers, this sauce, and indeed its whole line, is a favorite for many who like it sweet and not too hot. For me, I have a hard time distinguishing between all the flavors. It's like mild, super mild, extra mild, and XXXtra mild. The flavors, however, are pretty good. There's no denying that some hard work probably went into making sauces like these without the use of too much vinegar.

This sauce has practically the exact same ingredient list as the Desert Pepper Trading Company sauce from 3 days ago. So it's no surprise that they taste similar, have the same consistency, and even sport the same type of seeds floating in there. The big difference, is the amount of habaneros. Desert Pepper actually used some, and Melinda's just pretends to.

So breakfast is the old standby, egg sandwiches. I poured some over the top of one sandwich, and then decided to get a little dipping bowl. It makes for quite an intense, lip puckering meal. I'm not sure if I tasted any eggs today, but I certainly tasted Melinda's hot sauce. Sweet, tart, and just a little vinegar. Probably used about 300% more than needed.


Since it's a nice weekend, I grilled a couple brats for lunch. I easily used all but the last of Melinda's sauce on the first brat, and had to use ketchup on the 2nd brat. Didn't have any ketchup, so had to resort to mustard. Ran out of mustard. I've been to the grocery store twice for hot sauces, you'd think I could remember to pick up some of the other neglected condiments!

Bottoms Up!
Drinking this shot was phenomenal! When the sauce was being used on the food, all I could comment on was the sweetness, tartness, hint of vinegar, lack of heat. Drinking it straight, however, was a real treat. Even better than yesterday. It really stood well on its own. Maybe I should make a drink out of this? Call it, Melinda's Hangover.

Although this bottle is now empty, the fun doesn't have to stop there. Melinda's has a long line of sauces. Here are some more I might be able to try sometime in the future. For shore I'll be crackin' into the XXXXXtra Reserve one.

Habanero Hot Sauce
Habanero Extra Hot Sauce
Habanero XXXtra Hot Sauce
Hanabero XXXXtra Reserve Hot Sauce
Amarillo Mustard Hot Sauce
Chipotle Hot Sauce
Fire Roasted Habanero & Garlic
Garlic Hot Sauce
Jalapeno Hot Sauce
Mango Hot Sauce
Red Savina Hot Sauce
XXXmas Hot Sauce
Pico De Gallo Mild
Pico De Gallo Hot
Habanero Dry Hot Sauce


Holy shit they've been busy!!!

Tomorrow: Yucatan Sunshine

Topics: ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home