.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 04, 2005

Day 16: Desert Pepper XXX Habanero


After yesterday's near death experience, I decided to play it safe. A little comfort food. A sauce I was really looking forward to trying again. Might as well bump it up to the top of this list.

Behold, one of the longest names in hot sauces: "Desert Pepper Trading Company XXX Habanero Pepper Sauce XXXtra Hot".

I guess when you don't put pictures on your label, you have plenty of room to fill in with the name. Personally, I like the label. It's simple, but bold. You can tell by the design that this thing subtly claims to pack a punch. Luckily, it does.

There's a sub-genre of hot sauces like this one out there: Bold orange-red coloring, gelatinous consistency, fresh tasting, a bit chunky, and seeds floating around in it. There is vinegar in the ingredient list, but it's quite low in the rankings. And the taste is great because of it.

I've never heard of Desert Pepper Trading Company except for this sauce, and it looks like they were acquired some time ago by the El Paso Chile Company. I must say, based on the few shoddy sauces I've tried that El Paso has put out in the past, they made an excellent purchase with Desert Pepper's quality product line.

This sauce has some real heat. This isn't Tabasco here, this is a sauce that actually USED it's first main ingredient: Habaneros.

That being said, it's still possible to eat a whole bottle in 3 meals. Heck, I did it in 2 meals:

Breakfast: One small egg sandwich, drowning in this hot sauce. Excellent combination. Thickness of the hot sauce made it act like a true sandwich spread.

Lunch: One big hot dog, with a teaspoon of this sauce added for each bite.

Supper: A boring, bland, dismal meal not even worth going into, since I was all out of hot sauce.

This sauce is good enough to eat straight.

Tomorrow: El Yucateco

Topics: ,

4 Comments:

  • Desert Pepper does make some good sauce, and some pretty decent salsa too

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM, August 04, 2005  

  • I will have to look into this sauce, it sounds great. I really hate the sauces like tobasco that may as well be called "vinegar".

    I challenge you to do a bottle of Mad Dogs Revenge in one day. *shudderS*

    By Anonymous Will, at 10:34 AM, August 04, 2005  

  • This style of hot sauce would have to be my favorite, you can actually taste the flavor of the habanero in it, and it goes on just about anything you could think of.

    By Blogger Nigel, at 5:25 AM, August 05, 2005  

  • This is a very versatile sauce. Very good with chicken or pork. I got it cheap, but thought it was quite nice. Walker's Wood Scotch Bonnet is probably my favorite in the habenero category. It's hotter, and still really flavorful. Now I should try making my own.

    By Anonymous Tim Ottinger, at 7:12 PM, August 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home