.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

August 01, 2005

Day 13: Rooster Sauce

Huy Fong Tuong Ot Sriracha Chili Garlic Sauce.
Or, as it's also known affectionately by its favorite fans: Rooster Sauce.

This is it, boys & girls. This sriracha sauce is the reason I began this Blog. I've often gazed in the eyes of this rooster, wondering if I could eat the whole thing. One bad idea led to another, and the blog was born. The sauce is known as the "Tabasco of Sriracha Sauces". Almost everyone I know has seen or tasted this sauce, even those that aren't hot-heads. Most people love it, many say it's pretty hot.

I was first introduced to this sauce years ago when a coworker started raving about it. He said it tasted so good, that you eat more than you should, causing a person to burn themselves accidentally. And then they grab for more! He said that one restaurant carried it on EVERY single table. About a month later, we get the opportunity to eat at the restaurant -- and it's no longer carried there! I started searching in all the grocery stores in town, and no one carried it. Then one day I'm in our largest grocery store and I accidentally find it in the Ethnic food aisle, right by the Asian cuisine.

My eyes were opened that day. It was indeed one of the best sauces ever. Since it was located at a grocery store that only accepts cash, I usually bought 4 or 5 bottles at a time since I hardly ever frequent that store. Today, it's carried by almost every grocery store in our area.

This sauce is extremely thick, allowing you to stick it on almost any food. It is also sweetened: It can easily fool a person into having more than they should, and then they get burned. It is truly the ketchup replacement. I can't think of one food that goes good with ketchup that doesn't go good with Rooster Sauce. It goes best with asian noodle dishes.

This sauce is so popular, that there are even counterfeiters making knock-offs. Doesn’t make much sense, though, since these large bottles are actually quite cheap!

It comes in 2 sizes that I know of: 17 ounces, and 28 ounces.

The Official Rooster Sauce Challenge
To avoid any confusion, I will be attempting to eat the larger of the 2 bottles in one day. Yep, the big one. Unbelievably, it says right on the side of the bottle: 1 pound, 12 ounces. 28 ounces. Wow, that’s a lot of food!

If I fail this challenge, I’m quitting the blog. Since this is the reason I started the blog, I don’t really see a reason to go on if I can’t do it.

Click on the pictures for a close-up.

Breakfast:Breakfast was an 11-egg omelette (Only used 5 of the 11 yolks to cut down on calories) and then a few left over potatoes for good measure. You can see the before & after pictures of what the bottle looked like after I was finished with it. I was very pleased with how much I had used already. I was definitely on track to finish.

Lunch:I was so full from breakfast, I couldn’t muster enough energy to make a real lunch. I just ate a bowl of macaroni salad. And yes, Rooster sauce went great with it. Unfortunately, as you can see, I didn’t go through much sauce. I went and grabbed some cheese curds in an attempt to use just a bit more sauce.

Supper:Supper was a late one. I was pretty full before I started, but the fate of the world rested in my hands. I was pretty pleased when I poured the last of the bottle out and finished my plate. But to my horror, when I went back in to the kitchen to do dishes, I noticed that more sauce had collected from the sides of the bottle to the bottom. I still had some sauce left! I dug out a cold hot dog and basically forced it down with the rest of the sauce.

Finally, victory was mine.
Wow, am I full.
I estimate about a 26 mile jog to work this one off.

Tomorrow: Dragon Sauce. (5 ounces only, thank god)

Topics: , ,

18 Comments:

  • Hey, I still think you're crazy :) Then again I'm always ODing on chocolate, so what do I know? I wonder when the last time you tasted anything was... :D

    Quite frankly, I'm amazed at the sheer number of different hot sauces that are available. I'm not a chilli fan myself, so my sauce of choice is HP Brown Sauce, I don't know if it's available where you are (I don't know where you are, come to think of it), but it would make a much cooler alternative for when you start coming down.

    Good Luck, as ever.

    By Blogger Eleanor, at 9:08 AM, August 01, 2005  

  • Encona Hot Pepper Sauce is another amazing sauce that is a good ketchup replacement. I use it on home made pizzas instead of tomato puree :)

    The pictures of your food are awesome, the sauce is so thick and piled up, it's great. This is definitely a daily visit of mine now.

    By Anonymous Will, at 9:56 AM, August 01, 2005  

  • I admit to being very impressed by the quantity of the food and sauce.

    By Blogger (Not) Dear Abby, at 10:13 AM, August 01, 2005  

  • Hey this is Ringl who's blog you commented on. I just read through all the days and I find this hilarious. The insane sauce is the hottest offered at Zaxby's chicken resturants and goes incredibly well with the food. A slightly tangy taste. But I'm not sure as to why I ralphed it as that was the third time I'd taken shots of it. I don't know if they sell bottles of it, but it would probably be a fun one to do.

    By Blogger Ringl, at 12:15 PM, August 01, 2005  

  • How much toilet paper have you gone through lately?

    By Anonymous Nick, at 3:22 PM, August 01, 2005  

  • Zero today. I must be ALL backed up. :P

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 3:45 PM, August 01, 2005  

  • Fantastic challenge. Are you going to try to work your way up to some of the really hot sauces? Or are yo sticking with large quantity? A whole bottle of Mad Dog Reserve (1,000,000 scoville hot hot hot!) would be the empire state building of hot sauce eating!

    By Blogger John S., at 7:51 PM, August 01, 2005  

  • I think the Blairs 16 million reserve would be more up to the job!

    By Anonymous Will, at 2:39 AM, August 02, 2005  

  • I can't believe you ate that whole bottle in one day. Three meals no less.

    THats my favorite sauce but I take it in smaller doses.

    Great review.

    By Blogger Michael Paul, at 1:17 PM, August 04, 2005  

  • I've tried a few times to get the company to come out with a Tshirt with the Rooster on it. I would get one.

    By Blogger Michael Paul, at 1:23 PM, August 04, 2005  

  • Any reason why you didn't go for some Asian food when using this sauce?

    By Blogger Red A, at 9:55 AM, August 07, 2005  

  • I have to say, I am a big fan of the Sriracha Chili Sauces. Hot and a bit sweet at the same time, It's like a chili pepper ketchup.

    By Anonymous Captain Platypus, at 12:39 PM, August 10, 2005  

  • My two favorite hot sauces are Huy Fong Sri Racha, and Shark Brand Sri Racha.

    They are both "Sri Racha", but they are completely different sauces.

    Shark Brand is made in Thailand, and is much thinner, with a completely different taste and aroma.

    I mainly used both of these sauces for cooking. Cooking brings out the flavor, and aroma. Ribs, coated with Shark Brand, slowly roasting, will create a genuine Pavlovian reaction in anyone who smells the aroma!

    Different foods will "prefer" one or the other type of Sri Racha -- so, experiment with both when cooking different foods.

    --Michi Kogaku

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:39 PM, April 01, 2006  

  • Check out my homage to the sauce at http://www.kocksauce.com

    I'm also on myspace: http://myspace.com/kocksauce

    By Anonymous KockSauce!!!, at 3:23 PM, February 18, 2008  

  • There is now a new quit smoking drug available in the market. This latest breakthrough is known as Chantix. It is able to help smokers snub out their addiction by working on the brain.

    By Blogger adelen, at 10:07 PM, December 14, 2008  

  • this blog is full of lies. why?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:01 AM, July 11, 2010  

  • Looks nice, i guess that I'm going to the chinese market later and look for it, thanks

    By Anonymous pharmacy, at 1:37 PM, September 06, 2011  

  • In my opinion everybody should browse on this.

    By Anonymous www.orense-3d.com, at 12:29 AM, November 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home