.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

July 22, 2005

Day 3: Cholula Hot Sauce


Ahhh, Cholula. Many entry-level hot sauce enthusiasts claim Cholula to be their favorite hot sauce of all time. I agree that it has a unique flavor when compared to Tabasco and Frank's. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure it’s the Pequin peppers they use. I've had a pure picante hot sauce in a plastic bottle imported from Mexico, and I can taste this 'picante' flavor in Cholula. Luckily it wasn't too strong, because I really couldn't get through that plastic bottle.

Cholula has been made in Chapala, Mexico for 3 generations. They chose the name after the oldest inhabited city of Mexico: Cholula. Supposedly, they're still owned and operated by the original family. That's about as long as McIllhenney's claim to fame for Tabasco. That's impressive. More impressive is the genius who said, "Let's put a wooden knob on the top of every bottle!" Now you can see & recognize a bottle of Cholula all the way across a restaurant.

For lunch yesterday, I had a Chicken Cacciatore & Mostaccioli. It was heaped with a great stew like sauce that just begged to be doused in hot sauce. I put half the bottle on it, and set to work. To spice it up, though, I had to add a drop of Blair's Jersey Death sauce.

For supper, I mixed some Cholula into my 7-layer salad. Mixed very well with the mayo. I then started to make egg sandwiches. Unfortunately, my girlfriend piped up and said, "Just make sure you save me 6 eggs for tomorrow". There were 7 eggs. So.... I put the 6 back in the fridge and grilled my lone egg. Disappointed, I rummaged around figuring out what could go with the rest of the hot sauce. Not to mention, fill me up.

I settled for a tuna fish sandwich. As I was mixing the tuna in a bowl with the rest of the Cholula, the cats came running. "Tuna! Tuna! I smell tuna from 40 feet away!" Man, I wanted to 'accidentally' let the cats get at the bowl SO BAD. Can you imagine a cat attempting to eat the most delicious thing in the world, but fighting down the feeling of a burning mouth? It would have been awesome.

Less awesome is how much trouble I would have gotten into from my girlfriend. So, I shooed them away, "No kitty, these are my cheesy poofs!"

The size of the Cholula bottle with its wooden knob was quite daunting. It looked like I had my work cut out for me. But it's only 5 ounces, just like every other normal sized hot sauce. And I had little to worry about. The food I ate that day begged to be doused, and before I knew it, the bottle was empty.

Tomorrow I'll be going with its main rival, another picante flavored sauce: Tapatio.

Topics: ,

2 Comments:

  • Sorry to burst your bubble of anonymity, but I do like anyone who has an obsession, especially if it's as "outside the box" as hot sauce.

    By Blogger andrea, at 7:01 AM, July 25, 2005  

  • I do prefer Cholula in that "beginner" mostly flavor, not much heat kind of way. Too small bottles to be practical to buy for home use...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM, October 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home