.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

July 21, 2005

Day 2: Chef Paul's Magic Pepper Sauce

Yesterday morning before work I swung by the grocery store to pick up some more hot sauces. I was running a little late, so decided to pick up some Krispy Kreme donuts for the department. Become a local hero for the day. Have them forget I came in at 8:15 a.m.


So today I decided to quaff Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Pepper Sauce.


Napoleon: "It's pretty much my favorite sauce. It's like vinegar and salt mixed... bred for its skills in magic"


You can usually tell a hot sauce sucks ass when they pimp a chef's picture on the label. I dare you to prove me wrong. That anal leakage they call Emeril's should prove my case outright. Chef Paul's is no different. To call it MAGIC just takes the cake though. The only magic involved is that someone, somewhere, is buying this sauce at all, because it's still on our grocer's shelf.


I found the taste to be a weaker version of Tabasco, but a lot sweeter. Looking at the ingredients, it looks like they added two forms of sugar. (Which we shall call magic sprinkles)


For lunch I had a monster hot dog, and a cup of beans. The beans were so dry, that pouring a third of the bottle in and mixing it up well really helped a lot. For the hot dog, I didn't get ketchup and instead doused it liberally with the hot sauce. Enough to make my friend laugh out loud.


For supper we had chicken parmigiana, and I was able to kill the bottle easily into the dish without making much of a dent in general feng shui of the dish.


The only good thing about this hot sauce is that it's damn cheap. I think it was under a buck. Plus, it wasn't like it tasted bad or anything. It's just another typical red vinegar sauce. A Tabasco ripoff. I'm really surprised at the number of people that claim that Frank's is the shit, or Tabasco is the best, or Cholula is their all time favorite. Just grab a jug of Vinegar, some red dye, and get it over with. It's like arguing over which American Lite Beer is best.


Cholula tomorrow!


Topic: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home