.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Smoking Tongue

July 31, 2005

Day 12: Burning Hole Hot Sauce


Burning Hole sounds nice & dangerous! I am assuming the burning hole doesn't really represent the hole on the front label, but the hole in my ass that supposedly will be burning if I eat this bottle.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be a just a normal vinegar sauce without much heat. I see that the creator of the sauce is, "Hot Sauce Harry". I just spent the last hour looking around on internet and reading what people call "re-labeling". The gist of this research is that some hot sauce makers will simply use the same sauce over and over but with different labels. Or even worse, they have someone else make this sauce, and they just make the labels. As I was looking at the sauces Hot Sauce Harry sells, I am curious if there are even 3 different types of sauces. For instance, he has a "hot sauce" for every college football team, and all the Major League Baseball teams… Damn sure they're all the same juice.

I guess I don't see the point in that. Maybe it makes all the hot sauce collectors out there excited. I'm not a collector, never keep the bottles (except to take pictures) so I guess I don't see the point in it. I have a color printer, and some sticky labels, I guess I could make a hot sauce for every Minor League baseball team out there. That'd be awesome.

Anyway, what a waste. I may have to try and stay away from Hot Sauce Harry's sauces. Because what's the point in reviewing the same sauce over and over. "Well today this sauce tasted just like yesterday, but look at this hell-arious label! Tune in tomorrow for another label!"

For supper I grilled hamburgers, and the girlfriend made some roasted potatoes. Since the sauce is so runny, I didn't really want to waste the time pouring it on the burger, and watch it drip down my arms (and that's if I was lucky). The potatoes were in the same boat, too. So I resorted to taking a bite, then swigging straight from the bottle. Bite. Swig. Bite. Swig.

"WTF?" My girl friend wasn't sure she believed what she saw out of the corner of her eye. I had to admit that, yes, that's exactly what I was doing. I explained why. She seemed to understand, in that shaking of the head, you're an idiot, sort of way.

Tomorrow: The big one!!

Topics: ,

5 Comments:

  • Yes - Harry's hot sauces are indeed the same 3 - Habanero, Cayenne and Green Jalapeno. Basic stuff - mostly sell as gifts

    By Anonymous Nick, at 6:50 PM, July 31, 2005  

  • nice blog. where do you get all the different hot sauces from? i mean, at most i see like maybe 10 at the store.

    i think you should keep your bottles, even after taking pictures of them. build a pyramid in the corner of your room, or display them on a shelf or something, then at the end of the project, take a picture of all of them together. that should look cool.

    anyway, good luck on your venture! i shall be back.

    By Anonymous stacee, at 7:01 PM, July 31, 2005  

  • Wow, some of these sauces sound very spicy. I've blogmarked your site as i also enjoy spicy food.

    I like it so much I opened a Korean restaurant with friends. Over 200 seats, so if you are ever in Vancouver,BC consider this an invitation!

    Visit my site for more info and keep up the great articles!

    By Anonymous Bandy, at 2:11 AM, August 01, 2005  

  • stacee, I visit every store in the area that I can. This has given me access to quite a variety of sauces. Once I run out, I'll be forced to order online. There are plenty of places to choose from.

    Bandy, Thanks for the invite. A Korean restaurant could would definately win the $20 challenge!

    Thanks for the inside information, Nick.

    By Blogger Smoking Tongue, at 9:41 AM, August 01, 2005  

  • I just read and enjoyed the $20 challenge story. Korean food is/can be spicy but really if you've mastered "the trick" in eating spicy jalepenos, you'd be fine.

    My wife is from South Korea and my Italian/Scottish background has no problem with eating spicier food. (due in large part to the secret technique in eating spicy food... ;-)

    Great story and if you do make it to Vancouver, BC we'll share a bottle of soju and share spicy food stories!

    Bandy

    By Anonymous Bandy, at 7:18 PM, August 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home